Monday, May 16, 2011

Want Your Bad Romance

Q: What do my hypothetical future wedding, Lady Gaga, and my upcoming project "Otto and Ludmilla" have in common?

A: Each possesses a certain bemused sense of tragedy. They also have this in common: "Bad Romance" could be their theme song.

Okay maybe weddings and Lady Gaga aren't necessarily
tragic. And, by the by, I don't sit around thinking about my hypothetical future wedding all THAT often. Some of my roommates do, though, especially after watching chick flicks and bemoaning the lack of real-life eligible young men. (Note: I don't really share the view. The world abounds with interesting peeps, I think the trick is being interested in what exists instead of what is imagined. One of my roommates quipped - "I just want a man that looks like James Marsden, sings like Elvis, and has a heart like Jesus. Is that too much to ask!!!?"...I mean...probably? But dream big.)

Yes roommates, I majorly just called you guys out and revealed the shameful wedding obsession secret, mwahaha! But affectionate teasing aside, I confess that once in a while I find myself following suit. And when I do, in my imaginings of my hypothetical future wedding, "Bad Romance" is my wedding march because I am a classy lady. When the fancy strikes me, I like to picture myself helicopter-dropped James Bond/commando style at the alter to the blaring crescendo of Lady Gaga's uplifting ditty (dancing monsters and all):



No dancing monsters, no wedding.

My character Ludmilla in the upcoming web project "Otto and Ludmilla" by filmmaker John C. Williams of Awareness Films, Inc. and Reel Works certainly knows what Lady Gaga sings so eloquently about. (Okay, perhaps eloquently is the wrong word...bluntly?) Along with her fellow title character, Ludmilla is perpetually sucked into an intense, endless, indefinable romance that spans years and troubles, like a cosmic whirlpool of emotional ambiguity, uncertainty, and passion. Like an addiction. Like a wound. Like a virgin. Like all the metaphors ever used for romance. And like Romeo and Juliet, Bonnie and Clyde, or Lars and the Real Girl, Otto and Ludmilla can't seem to find their footing together in a complicated world. Otto and Ludmilla have a bad romance, in full blooming glory.

John C. Williams explains that it's a story that explores how all relationships effect us, but not all necessarily lead to growth - what leads to growth is our choices. It's powerful, poetic stuff and I am really excited to sink my teeth into it.

Let's be real: wouldn't you rather have a bad romance than a happy ending? Doesn't it hurt so good? Isn't the excitement, the suspense, the pain, the ecstasy, the agony, the adventure, risk and rawness EPIC? Yes,
yes and OMG YES. At least I would. (Attention all New Yorkers: you know you agree with me, deep, deep down inside, yes?)

We all want a little more bite, a little less bark.

PS I am Heathcliff.

No comments:

Post a Comment