So here at the Theater at Monmouth, we have some pretty skillful people who like to make promotional videos (I'm talking about you, Steph Garrett and Janet McWilliams!). Here, take a second to see the gorgeous compilations they have created for the shows that I have been privileged to be a part of this summer:
First is King Lear - arguably Shakespeare's masterpiece tragedy, a king that gives away his crown and loses his mind, and finds himself again much too late.
Next, we have the video for Much Ado About Nothing - a Shakespearean love story with two of the sassiest, wittiest lovers of all time...Margaret and Borachio! Just kidding. Our production is set in post-WWII Italy and features lots of kissing and dancing.
And last but not least, clips from Blythe Spirit - a Noel Coward comedy about ghosts and marriage, dry as a martini and delicious as a cucumber sandwich. We all get to do some pretty ridiculous antics and have loads of fun.
What a crazy fun summer! It's been a privilege working with such a talented, professional company. We've done deep tragedy and pratfalls, British accents, swing dancing, and slow motion stage combat. Thank you all ;)
Monday, August 15, 2011
Thursday, August 11, 2011
Some firsts for me this summer in Maine:
- Haddock chowder (yum!)
- driving an automatic without knowing where I'm going
- getting into a splashing fight in a lake with a 10 year old I've never met before
- knee-boarding on a lake behind a boat (arm workout!)
- drinking Mount Gay and tonic - thank you, Paul Bernardo
- setting some lyrics I wrote to actual music - thank you, Ambien Mitchell
- wearing a corset on stage
- participating in an after-show audience talk back - as a part of the cast
- lobster rolls!
- pumpkin woopie pies (or "mumpkin woopies")
- being trusted with a really awesome package at a theater where no one knew me...thank you TAM!
- finally admitting to myself that not only am I horrible at playing all games, be they monopoly or croquet or foosball, but I am a horrible loser. Sigh.
- being really happy that I was wrong and misjudged some people initially
- trying Amadama bread - molasses and oat, homemade by Caroline's grandma's secret recipe - mmm!
- doing summer repertory theater!
- holding a baby rabbit (oh so squishy!)
- NOT getting into trouble with the cops for being in a closed park at midnight - thanks, green eyes ;)
- having male roommates (not so weird after all! xoxo Clenton and Menich)
- being in Maine!
- seeing Acadia National Park - a lifelong goal, I am so glad it happened and can't wait to go back
- doing changeovers from one set to another in between shows
- listening to Mumford and Sons - love them!
- joining the Equity Membership Candidacy program
- crying over some really nice cards I got on opening night
- realizing that it's not just ok that everything changes in life, it's awesome!
- you know what universe, I'm ok with the fact that I spend all of my money on food and wine
- eating fiddleheads, which are neither fiddles nor heads but instead a fern-like vegetable
- having worlds collide (people from different parts of my life meeting each other) and it being not awkward at all and in fact delightful
- realizing that my moods can effect other people and they deserve the best and most thoughtful treatment no matter how cranky I happen to be for no reason, and that taking ownership of my behavior is part of being an adult
- having lobster cooked at home
- having men cook lobster for me at home
- having men cook lots of really tasty meals for me
- learning that even if I can function alright without adequate sleep for a little while, I CANNOT function without adequate food. I'll never be able to starve myself, and I am perfectly happy about that.
- hearing the call of a loon...they sound super jacked...
- watching an established artistic director retire with grace and humor
- getting to be the comic relief in a comedy that's already freaking hilarious
- getting to wear a CHAIN MAIL CROWN regularly (thanks Helen!)
- playing a window screen as if it was a musical instrument, with positive results
- learning some pretty dirty jokes and some pretty silly ones - thanks Xei and Max and David
- being ok with moving on to the next phase of my life, whatever that proves to be